First prize: $4000
Two prizes for runners-up: $500 each
The winner will be published in Overland 230, autumn 2018.
- This is a prize for original pieces of short fiction written in English, up to 3000 words in length.
- Stories must be unpublished (including online) and not under consideration by other publishers.
- Stories that have won or are under consideration in other competitions are not eligible.
- The prize is open to writers nationally and internationally, at any stage of their career.
- Submissions will be processed electronically. Stories should be formatted at 1.5 line spacing and a minimum of 12-point font size.
- The competition will be judged anonymously. The author’s name must not appear on the manuscript or else the story will be disqualified.
- Multiple entries are acceptable, although each must be entered into the submission system separately and accompanied by the relevant fee.
- Each entry must be accompanied by a fee of $20 or $12 for Overland subscribers. It is possible to become a subscriber and simultaneously enter the competition at a special price of $56.
- The winning story will be published in Overland; runners-up will be published at overland.org.au. Other entries may be considered for publication.
- The closing date is 11.59pm, 19 November 2017. Late entries will not be accepted.
- The judges’ decision is final. No correspondence will be entered into.
- Overland staff and board members, and their families, are prohibited from entering. All previous, current and ongoing contributors are eligible to enter.
- Winners will be announced in February 2018. Subscribe to the Overland email bulletin to receive announcements as to the results.