Open now. Now closing Monday 19 August.
About the prize
2019 theme: ‘Strike’
In an era of increasing economic inequality and social alienation, community-building, collective political action and workers’ unions are more vital than ever.
How does money, time, and power alter our daily lives, limiting some while others rise to the ‘top’? In our work, our lives, and our communities, how should things be? How might we change our collective future?
The Fair Australia prize encourages artists and writers of fiction, poetry and essays to explore these questions. We want artists and writers to be part of setting a new agenda.
Winning entries will be published in a special Fair Australia supplement in Overland 237, to be launched in Melbourne in early December.
Entry to the Fair Australia Prize is free.
- This is a prize for original pieces, written in English
- Submissions must be unpublished (including online) and not under consideration by other publishers
- Submissions that have won, placed in or are under consideration in other competitions are not eligible
- Submissions will be processed electronically. Images must be jpgs or tifs
- The competition will be judged anonymously. The author’s name must not appear on the document or the entry will be disqualified
- Multiple entries are acceptable, although each must be entered into the submission system separately
- The winning entries will be published by Overland (note that author publication fee is included in the category prize money)
- Entrants must respond to the guidelines, background and materials provided
- The closing date is 11.59pm AEST, Monday 19 August 2019. Late entries will not be accepted
- The judges’ decision is final. No correspondence will be entered into
- The prize for each category will be $3000; for each member category, $1000